What Is a FEMA Elevation Certificate in Guadalupe County, TX?

What Is a FEMA Elevation Certificate in Guadalupe County, TX?

September 8, 2017

If you need to obtain a FEMA elevation certificate in Guadalupe County, TX, know you can count on the team at Bettersworth & Associates, Inc. to get the ball rolling. But first, there are some important things you should know, and questions you should remember to ask.

What is an elevation certificate?

An elevation certificate is the official way to document your building’s elevation. You need this if your property is located in an area deemed a Special Flood Hazard Area to prove that a new construction or building improvement is elevated to a proper level. If you live in a high risk flood zone, you’ll most likely need to produce this type of documentation for your insurance company’s records before getting approved for a certain flood insurance rate. The agent uses this information to determine what your premium will be based on your flood risk. It’s also used to enforce local building ordinances.

How does a homeowner go about getting an elevation certificate?

A good place to start is to check that your local floodplain manager has your property’s elevation information on file. If it is, all the floodplain manager has to do is complete the elevation certificate in Guadalupe County, TX, which they are permitted to do for you. In the event that your property’s information is not on file or you have reason to believe it is not accurate, you’ll want to hire a state-licensed surveyor in order to obtain an elevation certificate. Once you receive the document, give a copy to your insurance company and put one in your own files.

Things you need to know for after a disaster

If your property ends up being flooded out or is subject to another kind of disaster, your elevation certificate will be helpful to your insurance agent when rating your policy. Furthermore, the information can help you make good decisions for your rebuild—like making sure your new build is above the base flood elevation. Of course, your insurance premium and flood policy will change based on your land’s or building’s elevation. And the higher above the base flood elevation you are, the better the likelihood you’ll be eligible for lower premiums.

Times when you need a new elevation certificate

Making any major changes to a building in a high risk flood area will more than likely mean you will need to get a new elevation certificate. This includes changes like converting your garage into a livable space and building new room additions to your main home structure. The new certificate needs to show the new building features.

Times when you don’t need a new elevation certificate

If all the information about your home or other structure on your elevation certificate is accurate, then you do not need a new one. Your insurance agent can use the certificate from the previous owner or get a copy from the floodplain manager’s office to rate your policy.

For more information about obtaining a new elevation certificate in Guadalupe County, TX, don’t hesitate to contact the helpful team of surveyors at Bettersworth & Associates, Inc. We’re here to help!

Categorised in:

Map of Seguin

Click to open a larger map


Bettersworth & Associates, Inc.
111 E Mountain St
Seguin, TX 78155

Phone: (830) 379-5552

April 23, 2022 Burke Huber
July 6, 2017 Henry K.
"Couldn't ask for better people to work with!! I'd give them 10 stars if I could. Everyone from Ken, the girls in the office, and all the guy..."
February 20, 2017 Mike N.
"Quick, professional, and decently priced."
August 31, 2016 Scott
"Very professional survey crew. Answered all my questions."

Business Hours

Monday: 8 AM – 12 PM,
1 PM – 5 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM – 12 PM,
1 PM – 5 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM – 12 PM,
1 PM – 5 PM
Thursday: 8 AM – 12 PM,
1 PM – 5 PM
Friday: 8 AM – 12 PM,
1 PM – 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
seguin chamber logo

Follow Us

We now accept all major credit cards.

© 2024 Bettersworth & Associates, Inc. | Terms and Conditions