Over the last several decades, technology has revolutionized virtually every aspect of our lives—and the land surveying industry is no exception. The advent of new devices and procedures has made it possible for land surveyors to complete their work faster and more accurately than ever before. Digital technology has also made it possible for surveyors to create digital renderings from various sources of data to develop topographical maps and perform atmospheric analysis.
All of this new technology has resulted in better outcomes for developers, property owners and municipalities and expanded the services and products that a land surveyor in New Braunfels, TX can offer.
The evolution of land surveying technology
The development of advanced land surveying devices and sophisticated technology didn’t really happen until the late 20th century. Prior to that time, land surveying was done primarily with simple materials and tools. Land would be measured using a system of ropes, sticks, chains and tape measures, and calculations were done using logarithmic tables, slide rules and calculators. With so many different variable measurement methods, it was common for surveys to be inaccurate to some degree. Even when these measurements were accurate, the surveying process was incredibly time-consuming.
Here’s a closer look at some of the current technology that is revolutionizing this industry:
- Satellite positioning systems: The use of satellite positioning has completely transformed the development process. Satellite positioning systems can measure all kinds of points in order to facilitate accurate mapping and planning for large development projects.
- 3D scanners: When it comes to terrestrial mapping, 3D scanners are incredibly effective tools. They are capable of making distinctions between natural and manmade features, and can even be used to interpret data from clouds for atmospheric analysis.
- GIS software: GIS software integrates a variety of different maps and geographical layers to create comprehensive mapping that can be used to plan development in relation to other structures and geographical features.
- TMLS: Terrestrial Mobile LIDAR Scanning is a type of scanning that can be done at impressive speeds. TMLS equipment can collect accurate, comprehensive data while traveling at highway speed. This makes data collection for the purposes of land surveying much more time- and cost-effective.
- Total stations: Total stations are primarily used for precise distance measurement. These stations can measure distance very accurately over distances of hundreds of meters.
If you’re looking for a land surveyor in New Braunfels, TX who will use the latest and best in surveying technology, make sure to reach out to Bettersworth & Associates, Inc. Since 1953, we have been the trusted provider of land surveying and civil engineering services to a wide range of customers. Our extensive experience has given us the ability to tackle projects of virtually any size or scope with precision and care. We are dedicated to delivering quality services and professional communication so that you are kept updated about the work we’re doing every step of the way. If you have any questions about what we can do for you, or you want to schedule service, simply give us a call today!
Categorised in: Land Surveyor