How much do you know about flood plain management in Guadalupe County, TX? It’s important to have some basic knowledge to ensure proper management of these flood-prone areas. Consider the following facts to help increase your understanding of how and why certain areas of Texas are at risk of flooding and what action you may need to take:
- Flash floods: In all of the U.S., central Texas is the most flash flood-prone area, according to the National Weather Service.
- World records: The United States Geological Survey reports that Texas is a world record holder for rainfall rates. The state currently holds half the world records for rainfall rates in 24 hours or less.
- Death toll: The Lone Star State sees the most flood-related deaths every year. The next highest is California, and its average is half that of Texas.
- Flood damage: Texas also leads the country in annual flood-related damages.
- Flood acreage: In Texas, 20 million acres are flood prone. This is more flood-prone acreage than any other state.
- Flood insurance: Approximately 3 million structures in Texas that are located in floodplains have no flood insurance.
- Repeat losses: It’s not uncommon for the same Texas properties to see flood loss more than once. In fact, Texas ranks in the top four states for repeat flood losses.
- Flood events: Between 1986 and 2000, over 4,700 flash flood events occurred in Texas.
- Understaffing: The National Flood Insurance Program in Texas serves 1,000 communities and is staffed by 1.5 full-time employees.
- Disaster preparedness: Among the most populous states, Texas has the lowest number of state employees who are dedicated to disaster preparedness.
What do these 10 facts reveal? Texas and its residence are at high risk for flooding issues. This makes flood plain management in Guadalupe County, TX extremely important. Assessing risk and taking appropriate action to protect resources, structures and residents should be a high priority.
Consider what may need to be done to improve these statistics. Does each region have current flood zone maps? Do property owners need to be educated about the importance of flood insurance? Do new measures need to be in place for construction or land use?
A good place to start would be to partner with professional land planners. These experts can help with land surveys, land planning, commercial development and more. Look for a company that has FEMA certification and a top rating with the Better Business Bureau. By applying in-depth knowledge of flood plain management in Guadalupe County, TX, a local land planner can help improve the safety and economy of the region.
Just the facts
If you’d like to learn more about flood plain management in Guadalupe County, TX, contact the team at Bettersworth & Associates, Inc. We are dedicated to creating better places to live, work and play. Our goal is to improve the value of your land to advance your mission and improve your community. Our award-winning land planners are ready to assist you with resourceful solutions and responsive advocacy. Reach out to us today!
Categorised in: Flood Survey